The emergence of routines : entrepreneurship, organization, and business history
|Books and Brochures|
Raff, Daniel M.G.
This book is a collection of essays about the emergence of routines and, more generally, about getting things organized in firms and in industries in early stages and in transition. These are subjects of the greatest interest to students of entrepreneurship and organizations, as well as to business historians, but the academic literature is thin. The chronological settings of the book's eleven substantive chapters are historical, reaching as far back as the late 1800s right up to the 1990s, but the issues they raise are evergreen and the historical perspective is exploited to advantage. The chapters are organized in three broad groups: examining the emergence of order and routines in initiatives, studying the same subject in ongoing operations, and a third focusing specifically on the phenomena of transition. 0The topics range from the Book-of-the-Month Club to industrial research at Alcoa, from the evolution of procurement and coordination to project-based industries and from the development of project performance appraisal at the World Bank to the way the global automobile industry collectively redesigned the internal combustion engine to deal with after the advent of environmental regulation.
xii, 358 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Oxford University Press,
"This collection of essays originated in a series of conferences held at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School in November 2012 and April 2013"--Preface.
Table of Contents:
- Introduction : Silences, and beginning to fill them / Daniel M. G. Raff and Philip Scranton
- The Book-of-the-Month club as a new enterprise / Daniel M. G. Raff
- Capitalist routine, organizational routines, and the routinization of research and development at Alcoa / Margaret B. W. Graham
- The global in the 1980s and 1990s : liquid modernity, routines, and the case of Motorola's iridium satellite communications venture / Martin Collins
- The dynamic interplay between standards and routines : lessons from industry and government / Andrew L. Russell and Lee Vinsel
- Ford Motor Company's lost chapter : purchasing routine and the advent of mass production / Damon Yarnell
- Heuristics, specifications, and routines in building long-span railway bridges on the western rivers, 1865-80 / John K. Brown
- Rules of the game : dam building and regulation in California, 1910-30 / Donald C. Jackson
- Instruments of change : contract regulations as a source of flexibility in defense procurement, 1942-72 / Glen Asner
- The end of judgment : consumer credit scoring and managerial resistance to the black boxing of creditworthiness / Josh Lauer
- Devising routines for project appraisal at the World Bank, 1945-75 / Michele Alacevich
- Routines of innovation : problem-oriented knowledge communities and the production of clean combustion / Ann Johnson
- Conclusion : Learning from history / Daniel M. G. Raff and Philip Scranton.